If you’re like many parents who are going through divorce, you know you need a child custody lawyer who understands what you – and your children – are going through. Divorce is an emotional rollercoaster, and it can cause kids emotional trauma, so you want the whole process to go as smoothly as possible.
But how do you know if you’ve found the best child custody lawyer for your needs? Are there “interview” questions you can ask, and if there are, what are they?
This guide to finding the best child custody lawyer for your needs can help you make the right decision for your family.
How to Find the Best Child Custody Lawyer for Your Family’s Needs
First, before you begin interviewing child custody lawyers, search for those with extensive websites dedicated to helping their clients – not tearing down the ex-spouse or those that are filled with complicated legal jargon that’s tough to understand.
Look for family law attorneys who have significant experience with child custody laws in California and who offer tips for negotiating with a spouse who’s not very cooperative.
When you’ve narrowed your choices down to a few, it’s time to start making phone calls. In order to find the best child custody lawyer for your needs, you’ll have to ask the attorneys on your list some tough questions.
7 Questions to Ask to Find the Best Child Custody Lawyer for Your Needs
A good lawyer will welcome your questions, so don’t be afraid to ask. In fact, most lawyers got where they are today by asking tough questions. You can ask anything you’d like, but here are a few questions to get you started.
- How long have you been practicing family law in Stockton? Although the number of years a lawyer has been practicing family law doesn’t mean everything, it can be an important factor as you make your decision.
- What kinds of cases do you usually take? You may not want to entrust your child custody case to an attorney who mostly works on criminal defense cases, for example, because child custody laws can be pretty complicated. This goes back to experience, too – a lawyer who’s very familiar with the San Joaquin County court system may be a better fit than one who isn’t.
- Will you be handling my case personally, or will you have others working on it as well? If the attorney will have others working on it, ask who they are and what type of expertise they’ll bring to the table. After all, you did your research on the lawyer – not on others in her office.
- How do I pay you, and what is your rate? You need to know how much your divorce is likely to cost you (also, if you’re anticipating a lengthy custody battle, it’s important that you have accurate figures to work with).
- How will we communicate, and how often will you update me on my case? You want a child custody lawyer whose communication style matches (or adapts to) your own so you’re comfortable throughout the entire process.
- What do you expect from me, as your client? If you know what your lawyer needs and expects from you, the whole process will go more smoothly (and you can often tell when a lawyer isn’t a good “fit” for your needs just by asking this question).
- What can I expect from you, as my attorney? Your lawyer should be able to tell you exactly how he or she anticipates handling your case, how often you’ll communicate, and more when you ask this question. Based on the facts you’ve provided, your attorney can probably also give you a list of possible outcomes of your case.
Do You Need to Find a Child Custody Lawyer in Stockton?
If you’re looking for the best child custody lawyer for your needs, we will be happy to answer your questions and help you make the right choice. Call us at 209-910-9865 to schedule your consultation with an attorney today.